December 3, 2017

Gifts to Remember

    "Happiness is only real when shared."
-Jon Krakauer


    Season 4 of Fixer Upper is on hgtv.com. I was so excited when I found out that I wanted to watch all the episodes in a row! Since we don’t have cable, I hadn’t watched the last season of this show. I will, somewhat patiently, wait to see the final season 5.
   
    While watching the show online, I noticed the program was interrupted often for commercials. Since Christmas is just around the corner, most of the commercials are about this season and the many wonderful things I should buy to have a perfect Christmas. I was encouraged to switch cell phone carriers, told I should shop for the perfect toys at a certain store, beautiful clothes at a different one, buy a TV, and a brand new car. If I buy these things, me and my family will have the happy smiles I saw on the TV and thus have a perfect holiday season. If only…
   
    The Holidays are supposedly the happiest time of the year. I think we all know how this time of the year should be, but often the reality is far from it. Super crowded stores, credit card debt, an unrealistic quest for perfection, and an extra amount of stress are what many of us experience during this happy time. A quick Pinterest search on Christmas will tell us the movies to watch, how to decorate our house, the gifts we should give, the best foods to prepare, and the ugliest Christmas sweater to buy.

    But the season will come and go, and if we succumb to the pressures  to buy what we are told will make the perfect Holiday, we may have nothing to show for it except debt and clutter.

    Since presents are a huge part of Christmas, I asked a group of people who are on this journey to de-clutter their homes how they celebrate Christmas. I was needing some ideas. Their answers were great so here’s a list of suggestions for gifts that will make a difference.

Something they want, something they need, something to wear, and something to read. - Many people follow this rule when purchasing presents at Christmas and it is a great option to give gifts with a purpose.

Consumables - gifts that we can use without causing more clutter. Examples would be gift cards, lotions, perfume, candles, essential oils, food, calendars, and movie tickets among others.

Charity - you can donate to a favorite charity in someone’s name. I once received this as a gift on Christmas, and it’s one of those few gifts I still remember receiving. ADRA and Samaritan’s Purse have gift catalogs that you can choose where your donation goes to. Fresh water, building schools, planting gardens, or raising farm animals are some examples of how your gift can be used.

Feeding the homeless together as a family at your local soup kitchen or creating gift baskets for families in need are some great options as well. Look for ways to serve. For further inspiration on this, check out what Nancy W. Gavin and her family did.
 
Experiences - A trip to the zoo or local museums, tickets to a game, or a day of skiing. Classes such as music lessons, craft classes, or a writing class. A family trip whether it is just a day trip, a weekend getaway, or even a longer trip later in the year. One person said they were going RVing this Christmas. 

 
Time - One of my favorite answers came from a woman who said she always asked for time with her children. Don’t we all enjoy spending time with our loved ones? In this super fast paced world, the gift of time is probably one of the best! Movies, lunches, dinners, museum visits, hikes, weekend trips, baking cookies, going out for tea/coffee, trying different workout places, taking a class together were some of her suggestions.

    I hope this list will inspire and encourage you when choosing gifts this Christmas. Simplify this Holiday season, enjoy the company of your loved ones, don't go into the debt, look for opportunities to serve, and truly enjoy this happiest time of the year.



No comments:

Post a Comment