November 26, 2017

Embracing Freedom


"I've learned that nobody's perfect, and I don't expect myself to be perfect anymore."
-Carly Simon

    When I first began this journey to a more simple life, I started reading all kinds of books and blogs of people who had walked this path before me. In my quest I came across the term minimalism and a new world opened up before me. Have you heard of that term? According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, minimalism is “a style or technique (as in music, literature, or design) that is characterized by extreme spareness and simplicity.” When this concept is applied to daily living the results can be very interesting. Extreme lifestyles of people whose belongings fit into one small backpack, who had a very restricted amount of monotone clothing in their closets, or pictures of all white almost bare homes flooded my computer.

    During my beginner days as a traveler on this journey to a more simple life, this concept of minimalism encouraged me to simplify a lot. Motivated, I would grab a box and go through the house putting inside everything I didn’t think we needed anymore. Author William Morris once said, “have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or beautiful,” and that served as a guide to help me decide what to keep and what to donate. I started putting so much of the house in boxes that I think my family feared they were next. I decided however, that my family is very useful and very beautiful, so I kept them!

    Although minimalism was a catalyst for my journey, I soon realized I didn’t like it very much. At least not to the extreme many people were taking it. There had to be a balance. I just couldn’t sell all my furniture or paint it all white like the pictures I would see. I needed some color in my life and it was ok to keep some things. With time I learned that I needed to eventually slow down on my simplifying, make it more me, and be content with the much I had already accomplished. With that in mind I could enjoy life a little more.

    What I learned was a great truth that I still hold on to today. A simple life is not a perfect life. A simple life is a free life! Free from stuff and materialism. Free from super packed schedules and constant stress. Free from others’ expectations. It’s a free life to enjoy family, friends, and to pursue our God given talents and dreams. A life free to serve and make a real difference in the world around us.

    Thankfully I learned that there are also very balanced minimalists who use minimalism as a tool to a better life. When searching for a more meaningful insight into minimalism, I came across a wonderful article by The Minimalists Joshua Fields Millburn & Ryan Nicodemus on what minimalism is:


“Minimalism is a tool that can assist you in finding freedom. Freedom from fear. Freedom from worry. Freedom from overwhelm. Freedom from guilt. Freedom from depression. Freedom from the trappings of the consumer culture we’ve built our lives around. Real freedom.”

    Minimalism has definitely been a tool for me. It’s where I began and the freedom I’ve found so far has been amazing. If you believe there has to be more to life than the constant running to and from chasing after the wind and you are ready to embark on this journey to a more simple life, begin by simplifying your belongings. We live in a society that encourages consumerism, so it’s very easy to accumulate stuff,  but take a hard look at what you have and decide what you must keep and what can leave the house. You can either sell, donate, or throw away. Go through your closet. You know what clothes you’re not wearing anymore. Go through your kitchen. That’s a place where it’s easy to have doubles or triples of certain things. What about your decorations? Keep only the ones you really like.

    As you are going through your things, start thinking of what you will do with your new “free” time when you don’t have to use it to constantly clean and organize your home. That can be very motivating. Maybe you’ll start reading more. Maybe you’ll decide to go back to school. Maybe you’ll start spending more time with friends. Perhaps you and your family can begin a weekly game night. What about finally begin exercising? Maybe you can begin volunteering at your favorite charity or you can even start your own. You can use your new found time to enjoy truly meaningful moments with God. Whatever you decide to do, I strongly encourage you to let go of the weight of stuff and embrace an abundant free life.




Resources:
The Minimalists in https://www.theminimalists.com/minimalism/

No comments:

Post a Comment