July 26, 2013

The E word

1
The much dreaded E word. We all know we need it, but we would all like to avoid it. There are hundreds of studies that show it is of tremendous benefit to us, but we would like to run away from it as much as possible. And if we can run away from it while sitting on the couch, munching on chips, or in my case, chocolate, the better! I’m talking about...(key in the violins playing several high notes for suspense)... exercise! There, I said it! Nooooooooo!! Not exercise!

I would venture to say that the majority of people in the world do not exercise. Maybe they would like to exercise, but most of us just don’t do it and have no motivation to do it.  And even those who do exercise, don’t seem to be enjoying themselves that much. Who’s ever seen someone jogging or bicycling by the side of the road with a big smile on their faces? Most of those people just look plain miserable! Sweat coming down their faces, the muscles of their bodies all contorted in agony. Who wants to join in that?

Well, actually...me! Me! Pick me! The benefits of exercise are too incredible to pass on. Don't be deceived by the look
2
of the person exercising. That apparent misery is what determination looks like. And exercise can be enjoyable and fun. Ok, maybe not at first, but as you notice the effects it is having in your life, I believe you’ll want to keep doing it! Let me share with you some of the benefits of exercise. Are you ready? This is pretty cool. Here we go:


- Lower risk of early death. Pretty  cool, don’t you think? Who wants to die early?
- Lower risk of heart disease. Heart disease can be a prison!
- Lower risk of diabetes. Talk about prison!
- Lower risk of certain cancers including breast and colon cancers.
- Prevention of weight gain. I personally like this one quite a bit!
- Reduced depression, which is becoming very prevalent in our society, especially among women.  
- Improved sleep. I used to think I needed to sleep better in order to feel like exercising, but I’m learning that exercise makes me sleep better, which is great in Alaska where the sun in the summer keeps shining pretty much all day long. 


These are just some of the benefits listed on the new book I bought, which by the way is called Celebrations: Living Life to the Fullest. I would like to add better mood, a clearer mind, and increase level of energy to that list. People who exercise may not be laughing while doing it, but have a better mood and outlook in life overall. Exercise also acts like insulin. People who have diabetes and who go for a brisk walk right after a meal, have improved blood sugar levels possibly reducing the need for medication. Exercise is a powerful healing tool in the hands of those who have certain medical conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, depression, and obesity. 

Isn’t this awesome? Don’t you think the benefits of exercise are just too good to pass? Who doesn’t want to live a healthy and abundant life? Most of us do, so let’s work on it! The best form of exercise is walking, which is something
3
most of us can do. So grab your shoes and head outside to
explore your neighborhood, or city parks, or the mall, or any other place where you can walk. When my son was younger, I used to walk around our house after putting him in bed for the night! If you can get someone to join you in the fun great, but if not, use that time to listen to some good music, or audio books. You could use that time to meditate or think of ways to solve the world’s problems! You could even call a friend and work on your social relationships. The time used in exercising can be great to work on your mental health too.

Yesterday, as I was reading about exercise on my new book, I decided that I needed to head outside and put into practice what I was reading. I got on my bike and rode around exploring the area, checking out new neighborhoods, and admiring the big mountains that
4
surround this part of the country. The sun was shining and the temperature was perfect. It was a good time to think about things that have been on my mind and to process my thoughts.
This morning, while everyone was asleep, I put on my shoes and went for a 15 minute walk. It rained last night so everything is so fresh and green. Clouds were peacefully resting on top of the mountains. What a wonderful way to begin my day.


Before starting a new exercise program, and especially if you have health issues, check with your doctor just to make sure you get a good start, but do start. A healthy life is totally worth it! We'll talk more about exercise soon!





(1) http://confessionsofatowngirl.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/scared.jpg
(2) http://www.divavillage.com/images/Oct05/adventure_1008.jpg
(3) https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg2hdiuwkT1WRpgMi0_Gjk4cPIfBl4GwiY0ibaw1iJvAsKVsdV3_13yRqiOMdstm9EODfs61d2On9nKX42CiEdItg0CUH_Zlyxccxq0ksLNfFx-pMsh88wD4QGa8CPW42rJ5PSogCQ3WxM/s400/Elderly+Man+Jogging.jpg
(4) https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh9GjTx5gB2_-GbSaytZMm0LZOu1uKhyKK56a-VUtxB8chCgcw3y5Neei2uM41H2ha6mzSPIhdBOkV8m2wscmHcumRkhh-XuXbIYIDVWCyq-XOae8tjyPN1h6buqZ0denC4NfHo4orxYhlk/s640/_MG_6193.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment