July 23, 2013

Down and up again!

Have you ever got something stuck in your mind that wasn’t that healthy, but you couldn’t think about anything else? Like chocolate between meals for example? And between
(1)
meals I’m meaning, all day long! Once in a while, specially if I’m feeling stressed or bored, I start thinking about chocolate. And then there’s this internal struggle for a long time that only goes away when I finally make up my mind not to give in to temptation, or until I satisfy that unhealthy craving and munch on chocolate throughout the day. And then, of course, feel guilty about it.

Well, that happened to me today. In fact, for the past 2 days something sweet has been on my mind a lot! I’ve been good enough to just eat some pieces of chocolate at meal time, but today I was ready to get home and eat all the chocolate I had at one sitting and didn’t even think if it was meal time or not. Chocolate, here I come!!

On my way home I stopped at a book store. While browsing the books I came across the health section. Health will always interest me and as I checked the cookbooks and  books on healthy lifestyle, I decided to purchase one called Celebrations. I don’t know much about the book, but it’s filled with colorful pictures and the idea behind it seemed very interesting, so I bought it. I sat down to read just a little bit and right away got motivated to take better care of myself. I went home and drank a big glass of water instead of eating chocolate like I had been planing. All of a sudden, in fact, I didn’t feel like chocolate anymore. :)

You know, the path for healthy living is not always upwards. It is, in fact, made of ups and downs. And you know what? That’s ok! That’s how we learn and grow. There’s a  phrase
(2)
in the Bible that says something like this: “God who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it.” You can find it in Philippians 1:6. I think it describes very well what I’m trying to say. We start on this path and we will overcome in the end, but it’s a process.

So! If you, like me, are trying to live a better life, don’t be discouraged if you feel tempted to backslide, to forget everything and go back to your old lifestyle. Don’t feel discouraged even if you do backslide! Just pick up where you are and move on. Sometimes we need a little re-motivating. For me it was seeing the beautiful pictures of my new book, but it could be reading this blog, talking with a friend about your struggles, seeing that number on the scale or even an illness. 

Whatever it is, do not give up! Just because we fail a few times, it doesn't mean we fail for good! The ultimate goal is a better life and I know we will achieve the goal! 

So there! I'm up again!









1 - http://www.geekosystem.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/chocolate.png
2 - http://javatoolbox.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/roller-coaster.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment