June 17, 2013

Growing a garden

One of the things that gives me much joy is gardening. I remember living in a high building overlooking the city, and growing all kinds of indoor plants on the bay window. I've taken care of plants for as long as I can remember. I think I got it from my grandma who always had all kinds of plants growing inside her home. About 9 years ago I was able to plant a garden for the first time. I had so, so much fun growing tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, corn, watermelon, and all kinds of other veggies.  There is no food like the one you get to grow yourself. It tastes so good.

This year I'm doing a garden again. My husband built some garden boxes and I've been enjoying planting seeds and seeing the little plants grow. Since this is a blog about healthy living, I thought why not share some pictures of the little plants I'll be eating in a few weeks? Can't wait!









Collard Greens - I'll post a recipe for a great Portuguese soup using these later. 
     




Summer squash!















Carrots! Just started thinning these yesterday. Will see how it works as this is my first time growing carrots.














Peas!! I need to build a trellis so they can grow up tall and straight. 









Brussels Sprouts! Can't wait to eat them with a bunch of garlic and a little of EVOO - extra virgin olive oil.




Didn't have much luck growing tomatoes here in Alaska last year, but since it's been so hot, I hope it will be different this time. Tomatoes ripe off the vine are soooo good!






Broccoli! Grew them for the first time last year and I was blown away by how wonderfully tasty broccoli is!








No comments:

Post a Comment